Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Resolution

Well, friends...I finally have resolution to the few problems I spoke about a few days ago. A Good Samaritan, Ms. Haskin, a faculty member at the Business School here at UM, found my cell phone in one of the unions. She contacted me after receiving the text message I sent the phone with my dorm's phone number in it, after repeatedly trying to call my emergency contacts with no success. I thank God for her kindness and for her doing the right thing! She really has made me feel a whole lot better this week.

However, as time goes on, it is starting to sink in that I truly am away from home for a LONG time. October (when Mom is coming to visit) seems like an eternity away, although I know that'll change once classes start on Tuesday. And Thanksgiving, when I go back to Chicago for the first time, seems like eons away! I miss home and all of my friends and family. Homesickness is a fact of life for all college freshmen, whether we admit to it or not (which I do). But with some calls home, things to do to keep busy, and classes looming, I think I will settle in just fine in a few weeks.

Well, it is late and I have to train myself to get up earlier for classes (8:30 classes!), so I will get to bed now, feeling like my problems are resolved, for now, and with more resolve than ever. More tomorrow or in a couple days...

Gute Nacht, meine Damen und Herren!
---
Note: "The Resolution," is an improvised piano tune by Michel Camilo on his Latin jazz album One More Once. I'm not really sure that the album title makes much sense at all, but it certainly is a neat bit of improv! Check it out!

No comments: