Wednesday, December 3, 2008

IMEA Composition Contest Awards!

Friends, I once again have been honored with TWO awards from the Illinois Music Educators Association Composition Competition (IMEA). This brings my IMEA Award total to 6, and my grand total of awards to 7. These are the specific awards this year:

2nd Place, Vocal Solo, for: "Loveliest of Trees" for baritone and piano, text: A.E. Housman
3rd Place, Choral, for: "Bogoroditse Devo" (Russian "Ave Maria") for mixed SSAATTBB choir acappella, traditional text.

As a post-graduate of high school, it is an especially great honor for me, and I am extremely grateful to IMEA, the competition judges, my alma mater Downers Grove South High School (DGS), Brayer Teague (IMEA competition coordinator and personal friend), Glenn Williams (friend, mentor, and chairperson at DGS), and all others who have influenced me, namely my composition instructors: Belford Hernandez (DGS), John Connolly, Roshanne Etezady (ASU/Interlochen), and Erik Santos (UM). Erik had a large role in critiqueing both winning pieces this year, so I owe many thinks to him! Thanks to all others, including but not limited to: Holley McKee, Craig Roselieb, Ron Hornish, Laura Coster, and all the other music faculty at DGS. And of course, thanks to my FAMILY and my PARENTS. I love you all!

As a college freshman, this was my last year eligible for IMEA awards, so I am grateful to have gone out with additional awards. This program has helped me grow immensely as a composer, and I am honored to have contributed to a great system. Thanks IMEA, and thank you Brayer for coordinating such an excellent competition. Thanks also to the esteemed judges.

I am entering many other competitions at the collegiate and professional level this year, so stay posted for updates! Thank you ALL for your support, and good bye for now!

No comments: